As someone who is committed to reducing my environmental impact, I’ve been on the lookout for a zero waste deodorant that actually works. After trying several options, I’m excited to share my top picks with you in this blog post.
This post may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure for more info.
Why Zero Waste Deodorant?
Traditional deodorants and antiperspirants often come in plastic packaging that can’t be recycled or reused. Plus, they often contain harmful ingredients like aluminum and parabens. By switching to a zero waste deodorant, you can significantly reduce your plastic waste and avoid potentially harmful chemicals.
How to Choose a Non-Toxic Zero Waste Deodorant?
Choosing a natural non-toxic deodorant can seem daunting, but it’s easier than you might think. Here are some practical tips to help you choose an all-natural deodorant that works for you:
Look for naturally derived ingredients
When choosing a natural deodorant, it’s important to look for naturally derived ingredients that are sourced from plants like trees, fruits, flowers, clays, etc. Check ingredient labels for certifications such as organic, ethical, and/or locally sourced ingredients. Avoid parabens, aluminum, sulfates, and phthalates, which can be harmful to your health and the environment. Common parabens to look out for in beauty products include methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and ethylparaben.
Consider thoughtful packaging
Packaging is an important factor to consider when making a purchase, but it’s not the only thing that’s important. Sourcing, ethical production, fair wages, and ingredients are also crucial. While plastic-free packaging is ideal, it’s not always possible. Look for brands that use sustainable packaging materials such as glass, metal, or cardboard. Refillable options are also a great way to reduce waste.
Take note of skin sensitivity
Many natural deodorants contain baking soda, which can irritate sensitive skin. Look for brands that offer baking soda-free options, or try making your own deodorant using a DIY recipe. Coconut formulas may also not work for everyone, so try different scents to find what works best for you.
My Top Picks for the Best Zero Waste Deodorants
- Meow Meow Tweet | Visit Store
- Schmidt’s Naturals | Visit Store
- Ethique | Visit Store
- Native | Visit Store
- Primal Pit Paste | Visit Store
- Each and Every | Visit Store
- Routine | Visit Store
- No Tox Life | Visit Store
- Island Deodorant | Visit Store
- ATTITUDE Plastic-Free Deodorant | Visit Store
Meow Meow Tweet – Deodorant Stick
One thing that immediately caught my attention when considering this deodorant from Meow Meow Tweet was the biodegradable packaging, which aligns with my efforts to reduce waste. The push-up paper tube was easy to use and didn’t require me to touch the deodorant with my fingers, which is a plus for those with sensitive skin.
I opted for the Grapefruit scent, which has a fresh citrus aroma and a powder-ey balm texture. The deodorant stick contains potent plant oils and mineral powders that effectively combat sweat and odor without the use of baking soda, which is a common irritant for some people.
- Biodegradable packaging
- Natural ingredients
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Effective at controlling sweat and odor
- Easy application with push-up paper tube
- Short shelf life (3 months) due to non-airtight paper tube
- May not work for everyone depending on body chemistry
- Slightly more expensive than traditional deodorants
Schmidt’s Aluminum Free Natural Deodorant
Schmidt’s Sensitive Skin Natural Deodorant Stick is a must-try for anyone looking for a natural deodorant that’s both effective and gentle on the skin. The easy-glide application makes for a smooth and effortless experience without clumping. Unlike many other natural deodorants, this one doesn’t dry out or irritate the skin, making it perfect for those with sensitive skin. Here are some of the pros and cons based on my experience:
- Easy-glide application
- No clumping
- Doesn’t dry out or irritate skin
- Sweet, subtle scent
- Affordable price point
- Leaves residue on clothes
- Fights odor for only ~12 hours
Made with sustainably-sourced and fairly-traded ingredients, these deodorants come in both traditional solid bars and convenient sticks for reapplication throughout the day. They are cruelty-free, vegan, and palm oil-free, making them a great choice for conscious consumers who want to support ethical brands.
One of the things I personally loved about Ethique’s deodorants is that they are easy to carry around, and you can take them on planes as they are liquid-free. They have also been formulated to keep you fresh and confident all day long, which is great news for anyone who needs long-lasting protection.
Another benefit of Ethique’s deodorants is their eco-friendly packaging. All orders are shipped in a cardboard box, which can be reused or composted, and the deodorants themselves come in a recyclable or compostable paper-based packaging.
- Cruelty-free, vegan, and palm oil-free
- Easy to carry around, and liquid-free for plane travel
- Formulated to keep you fresh and confident all day long
- Eco-friendly packaging
- May take some time to get used to applying a solid deodorant
I was impressed with the clean ingredients used in the Native Deodorant, including magnesium hydroxide, sodium bicarbonate, tapioca starch, coconut oil, shea butter, and lactobacillus acidophilus. This probiotic helps to balance the skin’s microbiome, which can lessen odor. I loved the sweet and sophisticated scent of this deodorant and appreciated that it didn’t leave any sticky residue.
One thing to note is that it does have a gritty texture, which may not be suitable for those with sensitive skin.
- Clean ingredients
- No sticky residue
- Effective at taming odor and moisture for most days
- Range of classic and limited edition scents
- Formulated for sensitive skin
- Plastic-free packaging
- Gritty texture may irritate sensitive skin
- Not an antiperspirant, so sweating is expected
- May not hold up on extremely hot and humid days
Primal Pit Paste
Primal Pit Paste is a natural deodorant made with only the best natural and organic ingredients that actually works. Its ingredients include arrowroot powder, coconut oil, beeswax, baking soda, and essential oils. This product is a great alternative to conventional deodorants and has many benefits, but it also has some drawbacks.
- Natural and organic ingredients
- No harmful toxins
- Effective at controlling odor and wetness
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Variety of scents and formulations available
- Can be more expensive than conventional deodorants
- May cause skin irritation or sensitivity to baking soda
- May require more frequent reapplication than conventional deodorants
Each and Every Deodorant
I have personally tried Each & Every’s deodorant and I’m happy to report that it’s effective and it actually works! The Lavender Lemon, Cedar and Vanilla, and limited edition White Chamomile and Bergamot scents are my favorites. The deodorant tubes may look like your regular deodorant, but they’re actually made from renewable and carbon-negative sugar cane. Plus, Each & Every’s deodorant is pregnancy and nursing safe and hasn’t caused any staining on my clothes.
- EWG verified ingredients
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Comes in recyclable plant-based materials made from sugarcane
- Travel-friendly option available
- May need to be reapplied on hot days
- May not work for everyone, especially those who sweat a lot
- Some people may not like some of the scents
Routine Natural Deodorant Deo Jar
I also tried the Routine Superstar All Natural Deodorant that comes in a jar and was pleasantly surprised by its effectiveness. As someone who has struggled to find a natural deodorant that can handle stress-related odor, I was excited to try this product. The formula contains natural ingredients like shea and seed butter, and is free of aluminum, parabens, phthalates, and talc. It also features a blend of essential oils like patchouli, vanilla, and cardamom for a unique and refreshing scent.
- Effectively controls odor caused by stress
- Made with natural ingredients
- Unique and refreshing scent
- Eco-friendly packaging
- Application requires using fingers instead of a roll-on
- Scent may not be for everyone
- Pretty pricey compared to other options
No Tox Life Deodorant
The No Tox Life deodorant cube has an extra-strength formula that promises to keep you fresh with just one light application, and it definitely delivers on that promise. It lasted me a full 8 hours without any need for reapplication. The scent is refreshing, with pure essential oils of Valencia orange and Egyptian geranium, and it’s not overpowering. Additionally, the product is totally zero-waste, which is a big plus.
- Effective with one light application
- Refreshing, non-overpowering scent
- Zero-waste product with no packaging or holder
- Long-lasting protection for up to 8 hours
- All-natural ingredients
- Not recommended for sensitive skin due to possible detox effect during transition from aluminum-based antiperspirants
- Needs to be stored in an airtight container to prevent drying out
Island Deodorant with Probiotics
One of the things I appreciate about this deodorant is its packaging. The push-up container is made of 100% paperboard, which is recyclable, compostable, and biodegradable. I also like that the label is compostable as well. It’s great to see a brand that is committed to reducing waste and providing eco-friendly options.
The deodorant itself is made up of natural and organic ingredients, including coconut oil, corn starch, baking soda, candelilla wax, and jojoba oil. It also contains shelf-stable probiotics for added odor control. I found that just a few swipes of the deodorant provided long-lasting protection for up to 48 hours, which is impressive. Here are some pros and cons to consider:
- Natural and organic ingredients
- Chemical-free (no aluminum, parabens, or alcohol)
- Eco-friendly packaging (100% paperboard, compostable and recyclable)
- Contains probiotics for added odor control
- Long-lasting protection for up to 48 hours
- May have a detox period during the transition to natural deodorant
- Compostable container may be difficult to use depending on the fit.
ATTITUDE Plastic-Free Deodorant
Overall, I highly recommend ATTITUDE’s plastic-free natural deodorant. It has a lovely scent, applies smoothly, and effectively eliminates any odours throughout the day. The natural ingredients and biodegradable packaging make it a fantastic choice for anyone who wants to reduce their environmental impact. Plus, it’s EWG VERIFIED™ so I know it’s safe to use.
- Nice scent that’s not overpowering
- Applies smoothly and doesn’t irritate skin
- Effective at absorbing moisture and eliminating odours naturally
- Biodegradable push-up container is eco-friendly and easy to use
- Leaves residue, so can’t wear with sleeveless shirts
- Can be a bit crumbly at times
Wrapping it Up
In conclusion, finding a zero waste deodorant that is both effective and eco-friendly can be a daunting task. With so many options available, it can be hard to know where to start. However, after trying out 10 of the best plastic-free brands of zero waste deodorant on the market, it’s clear that there are some excellent choices out there.
While each of these brands has its own unique features and benefits, they all have one thing in common: they offer a sustainable and effective alternative to traditional deodorants that come packaged in plastic. By choosing one of the brands reviewed in this article, you can feel good about the impact that your personal care choices are having on the planet.